The Heslep Amphitheatre

Heslep-005-for-webThe University of Mary Washington recognized two long-time donors June 4, 2016, at a groundbreaking ceremony for the century-old amphitheatre on the Fredericksburg campus. The outdoor facility, slated for renovation, has been renamed the Heslep Amphitheatre, in honor of 1956 alumna Josephine McPherson Heslep and her husband, Donald, of Richmond.

The Hesleps, who attended the ceremony with their family, have generously supported University initiatives, including a significant endowment for the UMW Philharmonic.  The couple’s latest gift of $1.25 million to the amphitheatre helped push contributions closer to the $3 million fundraising goal.