Each semester, Phonathon callers contact thousands of UMW alumni and parents to ask for their support of Mary Washington. The Phonathon program is essential to the advancement of UMW’s educational mission and its outreach to alumni and parents. The Fall 2019 calling semester runs from September 8 through December 3. The Phonathon Application is linked below.
Apply to be a Caller: If you are currently enrolled as a full-time student at UMW with a cumulative minimum GPA of 2.0, complete the Phonathon Application. The schedule is built in the order in which applications are received, so get yours in early! Contact Shelby Orlando, Assistant Director of Annual Giving at 540/654-1361 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions. Training for new and returning callers will be held once hired and is mandatory.
Important: The Office of Financial Aid coordinates all student employment on campus. Paperwork must be completed with Financial Aid before you may work. Please review information here; supporting documentation will include ID and ORIGINAL proof of citizenship (examples include passport, Social Security card, birth certificate, green card), so please ensure you have this documentation if you plan to pursue student employment.
Make the Call: Improve your communication skills, learn about fundraising in the non-profit sector, and develop public relations experience for your resume.
Caller Duties and Responsibilities:
- Commit to a minimum of 9 hours (3 shifts) per week:
Monday/Wednesday 6 – 9 p.m. OR Tuesday/Thursday 6 -9 p.m., AND
Sunday 1:30 – 4:30 p.m. OR 5 – 8 p.m.
- Learn and be prepared to talk about the University’s history, rankings and updates, and its needs for financial support.
- Call Mary Washington alumni, parents, and friends to renew, increase, and expand support to the Fund for Mary Washington
- Serve as an ambassador by establishing and engaging communication between Mary Washington and its supporters
- Be punctual and arrive for each shift with a positive attitude
- Meet set performance standards
- Handle prospect records and personal information with respect and a pledge to confidentiality
- Have fun!
- Competitive wages: $8.00/hour with opportunities for consecutive semester performance pay raises
- Build your resume: develop strong communication, fundraising, and marketing skills
- Ideal work hours: evenings and weekends
- Incentives: Phonathon provides a fun work environment, prizes and awards for meeting individual and team goals, and a semi-annual celebratory banquet.
- Application Deadline: Friday, August 30 by 12pm
- Interviews will take place at 1201 William Street. (house on corner of College Ave. and William St.)
- Mandatory training: Sunday, September 8 time tbd
- First day of calling: September 9
- Last day of calling: December 3
- No calling:
- September 29(B shift)-Rosh Hashanah
- September 30-October 1-Rosh Hashanah
- October 9-Yom Kippur
- October 13-15-Fall Break
- November 18-December 2