The first Amphitheatre located in the grove on the Mary Washington campus was built around 1913. At that time, it was a simple wooden structure with wooden benches. A major reconstruction was begun in the 1920s, and the new “open-air theatre” was dedicated May 11, 1923.
Through the years, the facility was enlarged to enhance seating, and the stage was rebuilt with Greek columns at the sides and rear. The Amphitheatre was utilized for May Day celebrations, commencements, and other events for students and the community.
During the Mary Washington First Campaign, donors saw the need and answered the call to restore this cherished landmark by contributing nearly $3 million to support the 2018 restoration.
A dedication ceremony will be held at 2:30 p.m. on June 2, 2018, during Reunion Weekend. If you have not yet registered, please click here to do so now.
At this time, UMW still needs $54,500 to meet the $3-million project goal for the Amphitheatre Restoration. Contact the Office of Advancement at 540-654-2059 or make a gift online. Every gift counts!